You are viewing all posts in category: Loving
How cute is this penguin? He’s actually a box of Japanese Pocky!
A selection of wines from Sort This Out Cellars
I can’t believe August is more than half over! We’re finally getting some warm weather here in Santa Barbara, so I hope that means our summer will last well into September. Here are a few things I’ve been loving lately.
- Australia and Britain’s Next Top Model: I stopped watching America’s Next Top Model several seasons ago, but I can’t get enough of its overseas counterparts. Both Australia and Britain are in the middle of their respective sixth seasons and I’m loving all of the catty competition replete with adorable accents.
- Everything Scott Pilgrim: I discovered the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel series last year, so have been eagerly anticipating the film adaptation by Edgar Wright, one of my favorite directors (see also: Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, Spaced). Well, the movie was fantastic and stayed true to the essence of the comics. Along with the soundtrack and the video game, it’s been a Scott Pilgrim-heavy couple weeks!
- Book clubs: About a year ago, I met up locally with a few people from Goodreads and we’ve been meeting monthly since and continue to add new members here and there. I read a lot, and it’s so fun to talk about books with other readers and pick up books I would never choose on my own.
- Wine tasting: I always love wine tasting, but I just went over the weekend for the first time this summer. I prefer independent wineries with a laidback vibe, so this time I visited one of my favorites, Sort This Out Cellars, which has a Vegas lounge motif, and found a great new spot, Carivintas, which donates some of its proceeds to animal charities. Both are in Solvang, CA and well worth a visit if you’re in the Central Coast area.
Greenaid is an unconventional design project that provides seed bombs from converted gumball machines. The seed bombs are composed of clay, compost, and wildflower seeds and are meant to be dropped in abandoned lots, sidewalk cracks, or anywhere else that needs a bit of natural greenery. A donation of $10 to their Kickstarter campaign will get you a package of your own seed bombs and will help to bring more of the vending machines to the Los Angeles area. If you contribute $650, you can even get your own machine to deploy in your community. Fantastic idea!
(via Brett Scarbeau)
- Weekend getaways: The boyfriend and I jetted off to San Francisco for a quick weekend away. I love exploring new cities, even if it’s only a tiny fraction of it, and I particularly enjoyed the Ferry Plaza farmer’s market on Saturday, 826 Valencia, Musee Mecanique, and the food. Plus, I got to ride a Segway!
- Chai lattes: I’m usually a brew tea at home kind of girl, but I’ve been to Starbucks twice this week for a chai latte. Not good for the waistline or my wallet, but oh so tasty. Now if it would just warm up, I could get it on ice!
- Polaroids: I finally dusted off my polaroid SX-70 camera this week to capture some sights in San Francisco. I love the dreamy quality of photos that I’m getting with my year-old expired film. Only two packs left!
Gorgeous bicycle from the Japanese company Arrow.
- Quilting: I’ve been inspired by some of the lovely modern quilting blogs and am about half-way through my first mini-quilt based on this pattern by Oh, Fransson. I also attended a meeting of the Santa Barbara Modern Quilt Guild at my local quilt store, The Fabric Quarter.
- Aquariums: It was staff appreciation week at work and one of the events was a tour of UCSB’s interactive aquarium facility, the REEF. I got to touch a shark, hold a sea urchin and some starfish, and see lots of other cool marine animals. So fun!
- Doctor Who: My boyfriend and I have been watching the new incarnation of the BBC Series Doctor Who and just finished series three this week. I heart David Tennant and John Barrowman. I also particularly enjoyed the episode “Blink” with the brilliant Carey Mulligan. Can’t wait to catch up to the current series!
For the past few nights, I’ve been watching episodes of Being Erica on Hulu. Produced in Canada, the show features thirty-two-year-old Erica Strange who’s single and unemployed and just unsatisfied with her life. She goes to see a therapist, Dr. Tom, who is able to send Erica back in time to relive the biggest mistakes in her past. Despite the weird premise, it’s totally endearing, full of great ’90s flashbacks, and just so Canadian, you know? Best of all, the adorable Tyron Leitso stars as one of Erica’s best friends. He’s just as cute as he was as Jaye’s love interest in the short-lived Wonderfalls.
All 25 episodes from seasons 1 and 2 are available on Hulu.
Two of my favorite things — these champagne cupcakes look lovely! (via Gimme Some Oven)
Super cute Bunny Bookmark Tabs from Poketo. They’ve also got bears, clouds, and leaves.